In United States an accident happens every 4 seconds. At all world probably 2 every second. Accident must be a "qualified accident" for be covered by an accident insurance policy and terms and conditions in some States of U.S. are different to others, same as in other countries. You need to be careful about the details covered by your policy and read the "small" conditions before to buy any product.
Usually an Accident Insurance Policy covers:
- Admission to a qualified hospital
- Any kind of injures as: Fractures, eye injuries, broken teeth, paralysis, burns and others.
- Emergency transportation in an ambulance.
- Family lodging for a member of the immediate family.
- Specific Emergency treatment.
- Intensive care unit expenses.
- Post Physical therapy if needed.
- Other details, different at each company.